LMACS Seminar Syllabus
Lowell Middlesex Academy Charter School
Course Description: Seminar is designed to acclimate students to the culture and expectations of LMACS. Students will engage in self-exploration, goal-setting, and future planning, with special attention paid to career readiness and employability skills. Additionally, students will be exposed to essential tools for success, such as habits of mind, computer skills, and financial literacy.
- Develop and practice career-readiness skills.
- Set personal and academic goals
- Explore career and college options.
- Incorporate habits of mind
- Examine learning style preferences
- Engage in the ten core ethical values of LMACS
- Embrace personal accountability
- Learn basic financial literacy principles
- 3-ring binder
- Pens, pencils, and highlighters
Class Participation 10%
Do-Nows and Exit Tickets 15%
Classwork & Career Readiness Rubrics 50%
Resume & Cover Letter 10%
Attendance and Make-Up Work Policy
Class attendance is essential and heavily impacts the class participation and do-now/exit ticket grades. When students miss class, they cannot learn. All students who reach the “Strive for 85” attendance goal for the semester will receive bonus credit. In the case of absences, it is the student’s responsibility to collect missed assignments. Students can either refer to the class website for assignments or see me upon return to school. Copies of most assignments will be available in the hanging file in the classroom. All missed work must be made up promptly. Per school policy, no work will be accepted beyond five (5) school days past the original due date.
Late Work Policy
To earn full credit, all work is due on the due date (except in the case of absences – see above).
I will accept late work for partial credit for up to 3 school days. For major assignments, 10 points will be deducted for each day overdue.
Cell Phone and Earbud Policy
Cell phones, other electronic devices, and earbuds may NOT be used during class time unless specifically for teacher-approved academic purposes. Therefore, all devices and earbuds must be put away during class. Students who violate this policy will be asked to leave class.
- Arrive to class on time with all required materials.
- Utilize agenda sheets for ownership and organization purposes
- Complete all classwork and homework on time.
- Remain on task during class time.
- Collaborate with each other effectively.
- Be responsible for texts and other classroom materials in their care.
- Take pride and ownership in the classroom space.
- Follow all school rules.
- Be supportive of all students.
- Return graded work in a timely manner.
- Be available after school for extra help, make-up assessments, and answering questions.
- Make learning fun.
“Hold fast to dreams / For if dreams die / Life is a broken-winged bird / That cannot fly.”